Saturday, July 14, 2012

No Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies

Earlier this week I rushed out to the grocery store just to buy chocolate chips because I had to make these "Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies" and within 48 hours my family devoured them. I had enough ingredients to make another batch... or so I thought... I set the butter and cream cheese out to soften and waited, in this heat it didn't take long for the butter and cream cheese to soften so I began to cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar together and added the vanilla. Then I went to the fridge and GASP! NO EGGS!

I immediately "googled that sh!t"... what could I substitute for an egg? Alas, google never fails me and I found a few different egg substitute options and chose to use 2 TBS of water plus 1 TBS of veggie oil, as corn starch creeps me out ever since I made "oobleck" with my students, and I didn't have a banana or applesauce. So I mixed it all together, crossed my fingers and popped the first sheet in the oven. Voila! Nine and a half minutes later they didn't look any different then the batch I made with eggs... Then came the taste test... DELICIOUS! Since I know there are many people out there with egg allergies, I thought I would share this adaptation! ENJOY!


No Egg Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda

1 cup sugar
3 oz cream cheese
10 tbs unsalted butter
1.5 tsp vanilla
2 tbs water
1 tbs veggie oil

12 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, the original recipe said 375, but they browned too quickly so I lowered the temp. I hope my oven hasn't gone wacky!

Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside.

Cream sugar. softened butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl. Once creamed add the vanilla and mix on a medium speed. Then add water and veggie oil, mix on high until fluffy.

Add half of the dry ingredients and mix on medium. Scrape down the sides and mix again before adding the second half. Add the second half and repeat.

Mix in the chocolate chips with a spatula.

The batter will be a little more loose than your average cookie batter. And I was a little worried about this, but it didn't spread any differently then the first batch I made with eggs. The only thing I noticed was I did have to form some of the balls a little more as I placed them on the pan. So next time I might refrigerate the batter to see if that helps.

Scoop the batter into 1.5 inch balls about 1 inch apart and back from 9-12 minutes. I always ere on the shorter side and then add on if needed. Each batch I baked took nine and a half minutes.

Remove from oven and allow them to set on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes. I tried taking one off after my normal one minute rest and they weren't quite firm enough.

Enjoy!

~eem

1 comment: