Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Custom Wine Glasses

Today is my little sister's 21st birthday! Twenty-one years ago I was at the Milwaukee County Zoo taking an art class on drawing zoo animals. When Grandpa Al came to pick me up he had news, I was a big sister... again! Now while I don't always understand my youngest sister because there is such an age gap between us, I do love her dearly and I am excited for this milestone in her life, even though it makes me feel older than dirt!

To celebrate I bought her booze (of course) and made her some custom wine glasses. I was originally going to do the doily wine glass tutorial I saw on pinterest, but couldn't find doilies at the Dollar Store or at JoAnn's. But I did wander into the scrapbooking section and was inspired to change my mind because doilies are for old ladies anyways. I picked out a sheet of scrapbook paper with a cute heart pattern with streamers instead.

Custom Wine Glass Tutorial


Supplies Needed

4 wine glasses (dollar store find)
1 sheet of scrapbook paper
2 foam brushes
1 spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
Cotton swabs
Modge Podge- Matte finish
Clear Acrylic Sealer

Step 1
Remove the sticker from the bottom of each wine glass- use the rubbing alcohol sprayed on your cotton swab to remove any stuck on paper or glue. Dry with a paper towel.



Step 2

Trace the bottom of the wine glass onto the back of the scrap book paper, then cut out the circle.



Step 3

Cut a slit halfway down the circle.


Step 4

Spread a thin layer of modge podge onto the bottom of the wine glass.


Step 5

Align and press the circle onto the bottom of the wine glass. Smoothing out any bubbles and slightly overlapping the slit you cut. WHOOPS! Didn't take a picture of that step. DOH!

Step 6

Trim away any paper that hangs over the edge. I did this by tipping the glass upside down and carefully guiding my scissors along the edge of the glass. Here is a picture of my wine glass before that step. You can see a slight edge of paper on the right side.


Step 7

Apply a thin layer of modge podge over the paper. Let this dry for about an hour and then reapply another layer. I put on about 5 layers of modge podge before I could no longer feel the papery texture. Then I sealed it with a Clear Acrylic Sealer to get rid of the tackiness.


Step 8

Once dried and sealed, enjoy with your favorite beverage! I will have to ask Molly to document that step for me, as it would be rude to use her birthday gift!

Happy Birthday Molly!

~eem




No comments:

Post a Comment